Monday, June 30, 2014

Are teachers becoming extinct?

“Teaching was so much easier in the old days.”

 “Kids are so different now.” 
“This generation just isn’t the same as we were.”   

Parenting Tips For Teenagers: How to Defuse Arguments
 
How many times have I heard these complaints from veteran teachers?  In the hallway between classes, after school, at conferences.

I am struggling to know if this is really true as I think about how to motivate next year’s crop of sophomores.

It is true that I am a little different as a teacher:  I’m not a worksheet teacher at heart,  even though my early days of teaching were planned mainly from the teacher’s edition with sprinkles of what I considered exciting embellishments of opportunity.   That helps somewhat. 

I believed in authenticity and choice early on.  That pragmatic philosophy came from managing a house with five kids as a first-year teacher.    I also came from hearty, progressive teacher stock:  My mother’s fifth graders used carpet spools to build giant log cabins during their pioneer unit and created a twenty- foot pterodactyl to hang from the ceiling.  My childhood was filled with hands-on learning.

Even so, in some ways I do see general differences emerging over my past 16 years of teaching.  I see students who are

  •        More open with their lives- sometimes when I’d rather they not be.
  • Less respectful towards adults in general.
  • Less concerned about homework if social activities or jobs are in the picture.
  • More willing to work in teams or groups.
  • More investigative, especially when it comes to using technology.

 
Now that most of our kids are out of the house, I’m curious about this generation I’ve helped create. 

And I’m wondering how I can use these new traits to my advantage in the classroom.  How will I need to shift my practices to keep my new audience of students engaged and achieving? 

As Haw says, “If we don’t change, we could become extinct.” Who Moved My Cheese?

Is the cheese is moving from your perspective?  How are you moving with it?  Or not?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment